I did find a top ten list which very much helps my quest, check this out the Top 10 Ways To Spice Up Your Parties With Fruits & Veggies http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/top-10-ways-to-spice-up-your-parties-with-fruits-veggies or these 5 ways to use some fruits and veggies for appetizers.
- Dip. Everybody loves fruits and veggies they can dip. Serve up Cheddar & Parmesan Pear Dip, Ranched-Up Hummus, or Pineapple Tidbits.
- Wraps. Create delicious finger sandwiches that will fly off the table. Use different combinations of vegetables and cheese in whole wheat tortillas. Cut them bite size and poof! They will be gone. Try Red Pepper & Spinach Wrap, or Wrap-It-Up!
- Salads. Forgo pre-dinner nibbles and offer salad as the appetizer/first course. Recipes: Rubies & Greens, Apple-Beet Salad, Golden Glow Pineapple Salad
- Soups. Whip up a batch of soup one or two days before your holiday dinner and reheat in a crock-pot for your appetizer. Put out mugs and let company help themselves. Try serving Apple Fennel Soup, Sweet Potato-Pear Soup, or Quick’n Easy Pumpkin Soup.
- Cornucopia. Impress your guests with an appetizing, edible centerpiece. Either use a cornucopia basket or a cornucopia shaped bread loaf and fill with cherry tomatoes, snap peas, broccoli florets, mini peppers, or whatever you think your company might like to munch on before dinner.
Chocolate Pomegranate Bark
Healthy Coconut and Banana Christmas Fudge
I loved these midnight cookies (pictured top left) at Repeat After Me http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2012/12/new-years-confetti-clock-cookies.html but again not exactly the type of alternative that I was looking for and I am looking for real competition here. Of course, I do have a no sugar cookie recipe that I could substitute for.
What I did find out was that we are going to be giving children and adults alot more sometimes foods in the next couple of days which means they are no longer sometimes foods. I got to see an entire NY party for kids that included everything from hot dog filled pastries (not even turkey ones) to sugar free jello.
I did see one on the Food Network that had a few ideas like: Spinach Tortellini Skewers, not a bad one. Take a peek http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/tortellini-skewers.html
Looks like I have a great idea for a #CACFPtac Holiday Cookbook that doesn't have so many sometimes foods in it...
I guess I will keep researching this and trying some new ideas today. But meanwhile, maybe something like this table is an option. I hope you had better luck than I did and you submit what you did to #CACFPtac http://www.cacfptakeactionchallenge.org/. See you in 2016 with more #CACFPtac challenges.